Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sport, Society & Me

Sports crept its way into my life.  Growing up without a father in Watts California,  Sports wasn't on my mind at all.  I had to worry about surviving everyday and looking after my brother and sister because I was the man of the house for my family. I grew up fast and around age ten when my mom finally was able to get us out of that horrible neighborhood, I felt comfortable enough to decide to leave my mom and connect with my dad.  After learning more and more about my dad each day I started to get excited about playing a sport when I found out he played when he was my age.  I was a little hesitant at first because I didn't think I had any talents to play a sport.  The very first sport I played was track and field which I found out I had some decent speed to go to the Junior Olympics.  When I got to high school all my friends constantly talked about football and knowing that my dad played encourage me to try it out and I got lucky to play D1 college football.  Looking back at what playing a sport has done for me, has helped shape the person I am today by teaching me all kinds of life lessons and a lot of adversity that I would have to push through in life.

Sports in the US is extremely important.  According to the article The Duality of Sport, "... everyone pulls together to achieve a common goal ..." (8) People of different racial groups and social classes all come together as one and work hard to achieve whatever goal they've set.  It has help make an enormous amount of people dreams come true.   Most of the values that sports teach each individual, people can't get anywhere else.  Values that are essential at some point in life include: character, winning, losing, teamwork, adversity, excellence, building new relationships that could last eternity, and etc. Sports produce incredible athletes that society value and hold to high standards. Looking back at the article, "Sport is compelling because it transcends our everyday, routine experiences with excitement, heroics, and unpredictability' (6).  This confirms how much society values sports in the US and how its apart of our everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment